Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 21:14:13 +0000

On 9/19/2017 11:25 AM, Ken Sharp wrote:
> not disabling subsetting when creating the PDF files would make some
> savings, probably quite signifcant, but I can't tell without seeing
> some examples of the PDF files in question.

If it helps, here are some example PDF files. I believe this discussion
began from them.

Gotlandstoner, a collection of about 500 traditional fiddle tunes from
Gotland, Sweden.
https://github.com/erikronstrom/gotlandstoner/releases/download/v1.0/214-416.pdf

(9.49 MB)
https://github.com/erikronstrom/gotlandstoner/releases/download/v1.0/417-727.pdf

(13.01 MB)

If the files from those links have sizes smaller than they are noted
here, that means they have been reproduced with a more-optimized process
since this discussion started.

For more info about the files, a link to their source code, and a
description of their production process:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2017-08/msg00399.html

For a report on effects of de-duplicating the fonts:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2017-09/msg00034.html
"I get the following results with ghostscript 9.06:
bok2: Original size 9.996.691 bytes, optimized size 2.043.380 bytes
bok3: Original size 13.706.324 bytes, optimized size 2.447.232 bytes"
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA