Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1

From: Ken Sharp
Subject: Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 15:38:39 +0100

At 16:29 19/09/2017 +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

This is next to impossible.  lilypond has knowledge for good music
typography, while TeX has knowledge for good text typography.  I read
your suggestion that lilypond should do everything, i.e., both text
and music layout, but this won't happen, for obvious reasons.

Umm no, I was suggesting (since as I understand it, this is for production of manuals) that the bulk of the manual be in TeX, and the bits where you need to show Lilypond should be EPS. However, its possible I'm (again) mis-understanding the purpose here. Jet lag is causing serious confusion today :-(

In other words, we have to co-operate with TeX somehow – output from
lilypond must be included into TeX documents.

Right, EPS or even PDF since Lilypond can't suffer from the font problem, at least not if it uses Ghostscript to produce its PDF.

> Your problem with multiple fonts pretty much exhibits that; once
> you've got the PDF file, a layout engine can't tell that all the
> fonts are the same.  Ghostscript can't either, which is why it now
> doesn't strip the duplicates out.

But our pipeline *guarantees* that the fonts are identical (basically
by disabling font subsetting)!

Well, that's a pretty unique workflow. Of course, if you didn't disable font subsetting the included multiple fonts would be much smaller anyway.

  This is something we can completely
control, and for such a use-case we would like to have forthcoming
versions of ghostscript be able to do what it did previously.

See previous replies on this subject.

                    ken