Re: Google SoC

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Google SoC
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 01:31:38 +0000

On 3/29/17 6:31 PM, "Winston, Charles R." <address@hidden>
wrote:

>I am at this point trying to get familiar with some of the source code
>and reading the documentation. It would be great if you could tell me
>about LilyPond's current way of representing chords. Is there any data
>structure at all that represents a chord beyond
> simply the notes that make it up? In what modules in the code is this
>representation defined and used? And it would be great if you could point
>me toward helpful documentation for this, and for anything else you deem
>appropriate. I appreciate the help‹I'm
> new to LilyPond, and to open source projects in general, and am still
>trying to get a sense of everything.

Please look in the source.  There are four files in scm/ with chord in the
name, and 3 files in lily/ with chord in the name.

Also, you can look in the internals reference for EventChord and
NoteEvent.  The EventChord contains notes in its elements.  The EventChord
is iterated, which creates NoteEvents for each of the notes in the
elements of the EventChord.

Look in the internals reference under Contexts for ChordNames.  The
project doesn't directly involve this context, but it's part of the whole
chord processing system.  Also see the ChordName layout object.

In general, there's not much documentation.  You have to read the source.

>Also, I've been having trouble with joining the mailing lists. I've
>followed the instructions to subscribe and was told I would receive
>conformation instructions, but I haven't. I understand that the servers
>dealing with that are currently down, so please
> excuse the fact that I'm not able to communicate on those lists at the
>moment. I would appreciate any help you could give me in that regard‹is
>there another way to subscribe to the lists? I really want to dive right
>into the community.

The list moderator says there are no unmoderated requests.  You are
supposed to subscribe, then get an automatically-generated response email,
and respond to that email to activate your account.  Have you lost your
response email due to a spam filter?

BTW, list etiquette on LilyPond list asks that we not top post, and that
we quote only the relevant part of the email to use with inline quoting.
It would be a good idea to start practicing that, I think.

>I also understand there is a period of "community bonding" for the GSoC.
>I'd love to hear about that in more detail.

After students are selected and before coding begins (from May 4 to May
30), students work to lay the foundation for their success.  This means
they are involved in the development community, perhaps submitting bug
fixes or documentation suggestions, reviewing code, and otherwise
participating in the community.  But you don't need to wait until May 4 to
start bonding with the LilyPond communityŠ

>And finally, after I have the information about the chord representation
>and have studied the source code and documentation a little more
>thoroughly, it would be great if I could send you a draft of my proposal
>for you to look over and edit.

I'm happy to review a draft of your proposal.  However, best practices on
the GSOC list indicate that the best way to handle draft proposals is to
submit them to the development community for everybody to give feedback
on.  Alternatively, drafts can be submitted to GSOC, and a request to
review can be sent to the devel list, and all who are interested can
review.  It seems that GSOC likes to have the application period be quite
transparent just like the rest of development in open-source communities.
So if you're comfortable with that, I think that would be the best way to
proceed.

Thanks,

Carl