Re: Google SoC

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Google SoC
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 20:29:06 +0000

On 3/28/17 2:15 PM, "Winston, Charles R." <address@hidden>
wrote:

>Hi Carl,
>

>I've thought of some basic ideas, let me know what you think.
>

>A basic chord data structure should include the following elements:
>- root
>- quality (major, minor, diminished, etc.)
>- extensions (2nd, 7th, 9th, 13th etc.)
>

>Other ideal features would be:
>- scale degree (I, ii, IV, V, etc.)
>- voicing/inversion
>- implied notes left off the chord. For example, say I want a C major
>chord, but with no fifth. Since G (the fifth) is by default included in a
>C major chord, there must be the ability to leave off the G.
>

>I think these features would lend themselves well to the current chord
>input modes as well as new easy and meaningful chord input modes, and
>they would also lend themselves to the current pop, jazz, and classical
>conventions of naming and characterizing
> chords.

Charles,

I think that the internal chord structure should be chosen to meet musical
needs, not to match input syntax needs.  We can adjust the input syntax as
needed.

The discussion about the chord structure should probably take place on
lilypond-user.  I'm certainly not the one who should make the decision.

Please raise the issue on lilypond-user.

Thanks,

Carl