Re: Still cannot make doc :(

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Still cannot make doc :(
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 21:03:06 +0200

James,

> Thomas,

> I think this a a completely different issue that you have, perhaps,
> self-inflicted here and this is just adding noise to the thread.
>
> Knut and I do not get these same errors as you and also note that we both
> *can* compile doc prior to the one checkin that David did.

I disagree.
As soon as I commented every occurance of japanese in all relevant
files I got the error on orchestra.ly with
make LANGS='' doc

Next I revised orchestra.ly.
- I deleted some custom-context-definitons and put them directly via
\with into the elevant contexts
- multiple settings of \layout were summarized
- numerous uses of \set instrumentName ... etc were put into \with as well
The last point may be the most likely candidate for the problems with
orchestra.ly, but I'm only guessing.

Anyway, with this I got a successful run of `make LANGS='' doc'

A diff is attached.

I'll now checkout a fresh branch from master, apply Hosoda-san's patch from
https://codereview.appspot.com/298320043/
change orchestra.ly as before.
Try a full `make doc' and report back later.

I suspect we have two problems (at least).

> I think it was this one:
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=c1d7bc2217462a63bf5c5c6d6f6df5cb00099180
>
> Put your tree back before that and make doc works - as does all the patch
> testing (although obviously I cannot condone any recent patch that passes
> just because I happened to be on part of master that works for me).
>
> If you roll back you tree to checkins before and leave everything else on
> your system the same then and you still get make doc issues - as I suspect
> you will - then hopefully you can see whatever problem you are having is not
> the same as this one.
>
> I did this with Hosoda-san's TexInfo patch. It's for Texinfo.tex so I can
> roll back to last two weeks and apply that just to make sure I can make doc
> with just this file updated on that version of master and it compiles with
> no complaints. As soon as I rebase master with current and try the same
> patch, I go back to the same old 'orchestra.ly' failure - note also that he
> failure seems to occur at the 'website' making stage where this ly file's
> only purpose is to generate a png file for an examples display (i.e. it
> isn't a snippet that I can see used in any other part of the doc).
>
> Finally, as I cannot make doc still, I cannot test patches, am not really
> checking my emails as much as I normally do, other than to drop by for the
> patch countdown - which doesn't need me to compile anything. It also means,
> as you can all see, that staging is not being merged and I have both my home
> and work machines running on a patchy-staging-merge 2 - 4 hour loop but
> constantly reporting the same make doc fail each time they try to merge.
>
> Someone else is going to have to test patches and merge staging for now.

It's a terrible situation.
But let me take the opportunity to express my greatest thankfulness
and deepest respect for the fabulous work you always do.

All the best,
  Harm