Re: Tie properties vs. slur properties.

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Tie properties vs. slur properties.
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 15:08:16 +0000

On 5/25/16 7:26 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of tisimst"
<address@hidden on behalf of
address@hidden> wrote:
>What's the benefit of nesting properties like this? I'm open to hearing
>arguments for it, but why not have them all accessible at top-level? Is it
>programmatically beneficial to have some properties in the "details"
>alist?
>I would argue that it would be more user-friendly if the user didn't need
>to know when to do "Grob.property" vs "Grob.details.property" sometimes.
>I'd vote for making all properties accessible like "Grob.property" if
>that's possible.

At the time I was creating fret diagrams, there was a very large number of
properties that could be varied to change the configuration of the fret
diagrams.  Rather than hardcoding values, I made them all properties.
Han-Wen was reluctant to expand the property name space for properties
that would have only a single use, rather than applying to a variety of
different grobs.

So we arrived at the system of using a details property.  I don't know if
it was newly created along with fret diagrams, or if it had been used for
some other grob previously (most likely it was already in used for slurs
and ties, and we just adapted it).  At any rate, details was used as a
general property that could be customized for a given grob.

The added advantage that David shows for being able to set the details in
one override was not a primary concern at the time I was working on fret
diagrams and harp pedal diagrams.

Thanks,

Carl