Re: broken doc build (orchestra.ly)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: broken doc build (orchestra.ly)
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 17:03:21 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

[Bisection]

>> Commit c1d7bc2217462a63bf5c5c6d6f6df5cb00099180
>> Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Date:   Tue May 3 19:11:15 2016 +0200
>>
>>     Issue 4842/6: Don't special-case Scheme_engraver's acknowledgers
>>

>> /build/Documentation/ly-examples/orchestra.preview.log
>> Changing working directory to: `./out-www'
>> Processing `/home/knut/sources/lily/Documentation/ly-examples/orchestra.ly'
>> Parsing...
>> Interpreting music...ERROR: Wrong type (expecting exact integer): (x y)
>
> Oh wow.  The expression with the wrong type is something completely
> different here.  That makes it likely that we are dealing with an
> expression that has been garbage-collected prematurely and is
> overwritten with something else randomly before use.

So yes, I think there is a problem in that commit regarding
garbage-protecting a Scheme_engraver's acknowledgers.

But: I don't think that orchestra.ly even uses a Scheme engraver, and
the problem would not hit before such an engraver is actually
instantiated in some context.  Very weird.

Nevertheless, I'll see whether this needs fixing, and if it does, follow
through with an issue (and push fast once testing confirms no problem).
Even though I don't really see how this could trigger in the described
manner.