Re: No countdown today

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: No countdown today
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 10:19:49 +0200

James <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems that there is some intermittent issue at Savannah.gnu.org
> that is stopping me from pulling or fetching (I am getting either
> 'SSH-message' errors or 'fatal read' errors.
>
> This has been ongoing since last week. I thought it was perhaps 'just
> me' until Federico also had the same problem, well this morning
> neither my work or home machine can connect.

I think anonymous Git access (via the Git protocol rather than SSH) is
affected worse.  At least I had severe problems with updating a few
repositories (not LilyPond) in that manner.

With regard to SSH, I had problems with my SSH account to fencepost when
trying to tunnel mail through it: it locked up.  I considered this a
problem with my network connection (which was problematic recently) but
just on the chance that it wasn't:

I got it mostly under control by reducing my MTU to 1400 from its
default of 1500 on my wireless interface.  It would appear that
something was not dealing gracefully with packet fragmentation and/or
size.  While I consider it most likely to have been a problem at my end,
it is at least conceivable that it might be a problem with the FSF's
network connections.  Though I think that Savannah is on quite a
different net than most of the gnu.org stuff, so that's a bit unlikely.

At any rate, just wanted to throw this out for people who might want to
try whether fiddling with the MTU might make any difference with their
setup.

> I am also having a very hard time of getting consistent make docs and
> make checks to complete on current master as has been shown with the
> last couple of patches that David has submitted and which subsequently
> failed my tests. The combination of being unable to pull or fetch and
> something breaking make doc/make check (and even occasionally make
> test-baseline) means that I have spent a lot of time NOT doing useful
> LP work.
>
> Unless I can get a consistent build to complete using j5, 6 or 7 [1]
> let alone be able to pull from Savanah, nothing much in the way of
> patches (and patchy staging merge come to that) is going to happen
> until at least Tuesday now. I may get a few moments tomorrow morning
> and then again perhaps Monday evening.
>
> Sorry for this but this week is especially busy for me, so I have run
> out of time (so to speak) for my normal Patch Meister duties with all
> this fighting of our own tools.

You tend to do the lion's share of semi-manual work providing LilyPond
infrastructure.

Thanks for this really significant work load you take onto yourself and
which has little visibility for people not following the developer lists
closely.