Re: GSoC 2016 - GNU website listing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GSoC 2016 - GNU website listing
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 09:36:37 +0100

Paul Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Possibly we could add a description like this (from the 2012 GNU GSoC page):
>
> LilyPond is a music engraving program, devoted to producing the
> highest-quality sheet music possible. It is somewhat similar to TeX —

Ouch.  LilyPond is very dissimilar from TeX regarding a whole lot of
things but certainly in the context of a call for programmers.  The
basic workflow for its users consists in editing a source input file
compiled into a graphic (and Midi) representation: so the workflow is
organized similarly as you would do with a LaTeX file, and so it fosters
a similar infrastructure of editing/compiling solutions ranging from
simple editor support to specialized IDEs, and is amenable to the same
forms of version control etc.

> the user describes the music using a high level description input,
> which is processed with LilyPond to produce a pdf file. Languages
> used: mostly C++, Scheme and Python.

Python is just used for some scripting but not in the core application.
If we have specific projects working with, say, lilypond-book, it would
make sense to make that explicit in the respective project description,
just like we would with Make, Gub, GCC specific tasks.  Short of that,
Python does not bear special mention.