Re: lilypond version manager

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: lilypond version manager
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 08:40:09 +0100

Philip Olson <address@hidden> writes:

> I just finished a beta version of my lilypond version manager "lilyvm" found
> on
> github
>
> https://github.com/olsonpm/lilyvm
>
> I'm emailing because I would like to know whether it's a tool that would help
> anyone besides myself, and if so, what kind of OS's are most widely used from
> people using lilypond's CLI.  Lilyvm is currently restricted to linux on x86
> and amd64 processors - which is why I ask.  The work involved in adding
> support
> for more kernels and processors is mostly testing.  The entire program is
> written in POSIX sh so portability is built in.

I’d like to add that GNU Guix has a package for Lilypond.  Guix supports
installing multiple versions of any package into different profiles, so
I can have the stable version of Lilylpond installed at
~/.lily-stable/bin and the development version at ~/.lily-dev/bin,
provided I have package expressions for both versions.

Currently, Guix contains a package expression for 2.19.33 (that’s the
one I’m using).  It is almost trivial to create package variants with
Guix by inheriting from existing packages:

  (define my-lilypond
    (package (inherit lilypond)
      (version "2.18.whatever")
      (source (origin
          (method url-fetch)
          (uri (string-append
                "http://download.linuxaudio.org/lilypond/sources/v";
                (version-major+minor version) "/"
                "lilypond-" version ".tar.gz"))
          (sha256
           (base32
            "0s4vbbfy4xwq4da4kmlnndalmcyx2jaz7y8praah2146qbnr90xh"))))))

This also only works on GNU systems, and currently the build fails for
mips64el and armhf (though it seems that the reason is a mere timeout in
building documentation, which could be due to the slow build slaves for
these architectures), so like Lilyvm this method is limited to x86 and
i686 for the moment.

~~ Ricardo