Re: "Critical error" starting LilyDev

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: "Critical error" starting LilyDev
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 21:52:09 +0100

Il giorno ven 6 nov 2015 alle 20:49, John Gourlay <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Federico,

I do have another small LilyDev/VirtualBox problem. I’m having trouble using the Shared Folders feature to give me access to a folder in my Mac file system from LilyDev in VirtualBox. The folder I want to share is /Users/John/Documents/LilyPond in the Mac file system. It’s privilege is set to Read & Write for everyone. I’ve defined it in VirtualBox with the name LilyPond, with Auto-mount Yes, and with Access Full. In Debian I can see a folder with the name /media/sf_LilyPond, but I can’t look into it. When I try I get the error message, “Error opening directory ‘media/sf_LilyPond’: Permission denied”. Do you know what I'm missing?

I think that the solution to your problem is described here:
http://superuser.com/questions/307853/permission-denied-when-accessing-virtualbox-shared-folder-when-member-of-the-vbo

I might add LilyDev user to the vboxsf group by default in the next ISO file.

Also, in your last message you mentioned the ca-certificates package. I don’t understand the significance of this missing piece.

I explained why you might need it. What you do not understand exactly? git-cl is a program needed to upload patches for review on Rietveld via the command line.

I can compile LilyDev itself and the documentation, and I’m becoming familiar with git. I’m looking at the LilyPond Contributor’s Guide, but I have to admit that it’s a bit overwhelming. It suggests that I should have a mentor, which sounds like a great idea. How do I go about getting one? I’m a recently retired software engineer highly experienced with C++, less with Unix, and not at all with Scheme. I’m not a musician, and I’ve used LilyPond only for toy examples so far. I once knew a lot about using computers to engrave music, as I was the principle investigator for the MusiCopy Project at Ohio State University in the 1980s. I’m sure that much has changed since then, but I’m pleased to say that LilyDev looks to be very much like what MusiCopy might have been if we’d had an opportunity to complete it. I’d like to help further the project in some way.

Any contribution is very welcome. Unfortunately, I'm not able to reply to these questions and I'm afraid that someone will overlook them because of the subject of this thread. Would you mind opening a new thread with a proper subject on this list?

Thanks
Federico