Re: "Critical error" starting LilyDev

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: "Critical error" starting LilyDev
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 16:17:17 +0100

Il giorno lun 2 nov 2015 alle 16:04, John Gourlay <address@hidden> ha scritto:
I’m a new user of LilyPond hoping to get involved in development. I’ve installed VirtualBox and with it I’ve created a virtual machine with the LilyDev disk image. The Debian installation completed, but it won’t run; VirtualBox gives me a popup error message saying, “A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine…” Do you have any suggestions for overcoming this problem?

I’m running Mac OS X version 10.10.5, VirtualBox version 5.0.8, and the LilyDev disk image lilydev-4.0-i386.hybrid.iso. What other information would be most helpful in diagnosing the problem?

Hi John

I have no idea of what the error may be...
Did you check with md5 if the file you downloaded is corrupted (probably not, if the installation completed successfully)? You should get exactly this string:

$ md5sum lilydev-4.0-i386.hybrid.iso
9da792275907b44cd6b98f67b64a33f5

Did you enable PAE in Virtualbox, as explained in point 5 here?
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/lilydev#installing-lilydev-in-virtualbox

If all above is correct, try:

1. checking the log file of virtualbox
2. running virtualbox from the command line and hopefully you'll get more useful information