Re: Snippet tags

From: James
Subject: Re: Snippet tags
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:37:05 +0100

On 25/07/14 15:44, David Kastrup wrote:
Phil Holmes <address@hidden> writes:

Currently, the snippets in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/snippets/index include the
current categories/tags:
IIRC, the introductory text for the snippets states that this is just an
excerpt of topics.  But I don't think that we have a "full list"
anywhere, so that's somewhat pointless.

However, there are a _lot_ more tags in the snippet repository (see below).
  One upshot of this is that tagging a snippet with the "wrong" tags will
prevent it appearing in the docs automatically.  Should we update the list
above to be the same as the one below?
ancient-notation
automatic-notation
breaks
chords
connecting-notes
contemporary-notation
contexts-and-engravers
devel
editorial-annotations
expressive-marks
fretted-strings
headword
keyboards
midi
paper-and-layout
percussion
pitches
preparing-parts
really-cool
really-simple
real-music
repeats
rhythms
scheme-language
simultaneous-notes
spacing
specific-notation
staff-notation
stylesheet
symbols-and-glyphs
syntax-and-expressions
template
text
titles
tweaks-and-overrides
unfretted-strings
version-specific
vocal-music
winds
workaround
world-music
I think that's excessive for the sort of unfolded table-of-contents
structure that we have integrated that with.

At the current point it is already hard to find anything in that mess.
Blowing it up by a factor of 2 will not help.  We probably need to find
a somewhat more hierarchical structure for navigational purposes.

I agree that is excessive.

However, much like @cindex entries; you ask 3 people what a good entry would be and you'll get 4 different answers (it's an exercise in guessing someone else's thought process - you'll be on a hiding-to-nothing). Whatever 'one' does someone will complain or grumble :)

Things like

really-cool
really-simple
real-music

are not that helpful.

I don't have a real solution other than agreeing on what David said by making it Hierarchical, so you would have perhaps a minimum of three tags where thr first three are required.

[type of music] / [type of notation] / [type of tweak] sort of thing (I am probably not articulating it that well, sorry).

So

Ancient-Music / noteheads / overrides

Vocal-Music / lyrics / overrides / spacing

Fretted-Music / markups / visibility

Or something like that.

Just my 1p's worth.

James