Re: Count MIDI ticks from the beginning of the score, not each staff ind

From: Devon Schudy
Subject: Re: Count MIDI ticks from the beginning of the score, not each staff independently. (issue 73610044)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 20:43:57 -0400

dak wrote:
> Stupid question: when is midiStart available if it is a context
> property? [...] Can one even do this using
> \score { { \set Score.midiStart = ...
> or will it not arrive in time?

It doesn't arrive in time.

> If not (I actually don't know), it seems like making it rather part of
> the midi block might be more appropriate.  In which case we would not
> need to store it separately as it would then be part of
> performance_->midi_.

Oh, yes, that's much simpler.

...however, while documenting it, I noticed a problem that makes the
feature nearly useless: the speed of MIDI time depends on the tempo,
which isn't set until the beginning of the score, so the extra time is
at some other tempo (probably 4 = 120). It might still be useful to
align multiple tracks generated by Lilypond (but why not generate them
as one file?) or as input to other programs that want time in MIDI
ticks rather than seconds, but it's not much good for aligning the
MIDI to either musical or real time.