Re: Screenshots/PNG files in manuals

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Screenshots/PNG files in manuals
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 12:59:13 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]

I don't actually understand what you are trying to say here.  A screen
shot should always have one pixel per pixel, anything else does not make
sense.  You want to use PNG.

> With 120 PPI, the maximum image size is just over 750 pixels.

The main problem is that you'll ultimately want the output to be
something like 100dpi or 150dpi in print.  _Exactly_ so.  So scaling to
a certain width is likely to be problematic.  You should figure out the
typical available width, pick a resolution, and then resize your window
to match the available width before doing the screen shot.  Then it's
best to specify the exact width when including the image, and center the
image in the available line width whatever it may be.