Screenshots/PNG files in manuals

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Screenshots/PNG files in manuals
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 16:31:53 +0100

As I said earlier, I'm working on the tutorial in the LM. It uses screenshots to show what users will see on the screen. The versions on the web are (as expected from a pixel-based system) fine. However, the versions in the PDF docs are badly scaled and look ugly. It seems that this is generally tackled for images by making them large and then constraining the width in the tex version of the source (this is how it's done in the essay). I'm wondering if there's a better way - is there a recommended pixel-per-inch setting for image files that will end up in the PDFs? I've looked on the web and couldn't find anything, but am hoping someone will know.

--
Phil Holmes