Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: maybe we could use blog.lilypond.org as the blog's address?
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 07:57:02 -0700 (PDT)

Urs Liska wrote
> There's another thing I can throw into the discussion:
> blog.openlilylib.org.
> www.openlilylib.org is a domain that I recently registered for a
> 'community' kind side-project to LilyPond. The current content of the
> web site is still a stub, but you can get a good impression what it will
> contain. It might be a good idea to associate a LilyPond blog with this
> domain because it's somewhat more community-like and informal than what
> is and should be on lilypond.org.

Just a suggestion: if the blog ends up with an openlilylib.org address and
is hosted on the same server as openlilylib.org, then its address could just
be:

  openlilylib.org/blog/

rather than:

  blog.openlilylib.org

Then search engines will treat it as part of the openlilylib.org site
(instead of as a separate site), which is probably what you would want.

Although I suppose you'd have somewhat less flexibility (than with
blog.openlilylib.org) if you needed to move the blog to a different server
in the future...  Probably the most flexible approach would be to give the
blog its own domain, then it would not be tied to any other site.  Then in
the future the domain could be moved along with the blog to any server, as
needed, without changing the URLs.

At any rate, any of these, including blog.lilypond.org, are better options
with more longevity and flexibility than the current wordpress URL.

Cheers,
-Paul