Re: \tuplet and \tupletSpan to replace \times and tupletSpannerDuration

From: ianhulin44
Subject: Re: \tuplet and \tupletSpan to replace \times and tupletSpannerDuration (issue 7094044)
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:54:25 +0000

This LGTM, but with one really big question: do we really still need
\tupletSpan at all?

The start point for this work was to make "easy triplets and tuplets",
i.e. make handling of all the triplets and *uplets less daunting and a
bit more readable by humans.

The original \times command had a companion \tupletSpannerDuration
command to allow a different length of spanner bracket from the total
length of music "tupleted" music.  \tupletSpannerDuration was
implemented as a property for \times.

Here is the NR example for tupletSpannerDuration and \times:

{
   \set tupletSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4)
   \times 2/3 { c8 c c c c c }
}

I think using this property was working round the restriction we had in
the language at the time in that we couldn't use optional parameters to
music functions.

I really think that unless someone can come up with a really strong case
that \tupletSpannerDuration is needed for backwards-compatibility we
don't need to provide \tupletSpan.  It was my attempt at covering all
the bases in the doc-string for \tupletSpan that convinced me. (See
below).

Cheers,
Ian Hulin

https://codereview.appspot.com/7094044/diff/2001/ly/music-functions-init.ly
File ly/music-functions-init.ly (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/7094044/diff/2001/ly/music-functions-init.ly#newcode1365
ly/music-functions-init.ly:1365: tuplets are being subdivided.  To
unset, use a zero duration like
tuplets specified by the current \tuplet command are to be subdivided.
To unset, use a zero duration like @samp{1*0}. Doing this will ensure
the spanner for the music on the current \tuplet command spans all the
music, rather than the value set to any prior \tupletSpan call.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7094044/