Re: Create a \tuplet function to complement \times and tupletSpannerDura

From: dak
Subject: Re: Create a \tuplet function to complement \times and tupletSpannerDuration (issue 7058068)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:40:03 +0000

On 2013/01/10 22:21:23, benko.pal wrote:
good for a start but I have some problems with the duration parameter:

1.
{
   \tuplet 3/2 { c8 c c c c c }
   \tuplet 3/2 4 { c8 c c c c c }
   \tuplet 3/2 { c8 c c c c c }
}

I found it ugly that the first and last input line are engraved
differently
(i.e. duration has an effect outside of its tuplet);

For the rationale, see the Google tracker issue description.  I picked
one of several possible behaviors.  The one that I picked has the
advantage to make it reasonably straightforward to have a working
convert-ly rule matching current use cases, and it is often convenient
in saving typing work.

The alternative would be _unsetting_ at the end of a \tuplet with given
duration, regardless of whether the value was set previously.

2. it works funny in scaled music (e.g. nested tuplets):

   \tuplet 3/2 { c4 \tuplet 3/2 4 { c8 c c c c c } }

No good idea how to work this one reasonably since tupletSpannerDuration
is being set permanently.  Maybe one should scrap tupletSpannerDuration
altogether and just encode the duration straight into the event?  That's
where it ends up anyway.  Huh, or keep tupletSpannerDuration around but
ignore it when the event specifies a duration itself.

Again, bad for convert-ly rules, but probably cleaner.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7058068/