Re: mensural notation improvements (issue3797046)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: mensural notation improvements (issue3797046)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:36:48 -0700

On 1/24/11 3:31 PM, "Benkő Pál" <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> please advise me about regression tests: can I modify ligatures within
>>> mensural-ligatures.ly?  if not, can I add new ones to the same file?
>>
>> Ancient music has been abandoned by developers for a number of years.
>> IMO, you may do whatever you think makes the most sense as you try to
>> bring ancient music back into the mainstream of LilyPond development.
>
> I thought there might be a general policy about editing files in the
> regression suite.

As far as I know, the only policies we have about writing regression tests
are in the Contributors' Guide, section 10.8.2 Writing regression tests.

"
Regression tests should be as brief as possible to demonstrate the
functionality of the code.

Regression tests should generally cover one issue per test. Several short,
single-issue regression tests are preferred to a single, long,
multiple-issue regression test.

Use existing regression tests as templates to demonstrate the type of header
information that should be included in a regression test.
"

Sometimes a regression test is intended to show all possible functionality.
In such a case, an existing test should be extended to show the added
functionality.

But where possible, we try to keep tests to a single issue.

Personally, I will trust your judgment in this case.  Do what seems best.

Thanks,

Carl