Re: mensural notation improvements (issue3797046)

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: mensural notation improvements (issue3797046)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 10:17:40 +0100

> if it helps to confirm that you are right, I might add my own experience
> with mensural sources. Composers/writers seem to literally avoid dotted
> notes in ligatures except (a) at the end of the ligature, or (b) on top
> of the first note of an obliqua, or (c) both.  (a) and (b) are frequent,
> and there are numerous examples. There are some for (c), e.g. the Eton
> Choirbook that Pál quoted, or Apel, page 471.

yes; generally there's seldom need to dot a long note, regardless of
being in or outside a ligature.

> Sometimes, (d) a dotted first note of a non-obliqua ligature can be
> found with the dot on the right of the note. This is usually an
> ascending ligatura cum opposita proprietate (as in Pál's examples, or
> Apel, p. 181, or p. 138 for a semi-coloured one).

(btw in the Chigi example there's a dotted first breve in the penultimate
staff of the right side.)

> I have never seen this
> with a descending ligature, and I would be interested if you found an
> example.

seems to be a busy weekend, but I hope I can get to it.

> I don't know any sources that comply with Apel's dot-above rule, but
> then again, Apel probably saw more sources than I ever will...

or me, too.  and I learnt mensural notation solely from Apel.

> Sometimes I have been confused by a punctus divisionis placed in the
> middle above a ligature, but of course that's something different.

wow, I have never seen such a thing!  could you give an example?