Re: flags, beams and stem length in forced directions - output improveme

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: flags, beams and stem length in forced directions - output improvement
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 20:18:53 +0100 (CET)

> And there is one more thing - is it a bug in font sources? When i change
> total_depth# = 3.5 staff_space# - blot_diameter# / 2;
> total_depth# = 3 staff_space# - blot_diameter# / 2;
> (in definition of u4 flag, line 163 of feta-flags.mf), i get the
> output in attachment. I've tried other values, and:
> 2.95, 3, 3.1 are bugged
> 2,9, 3.05, 3.15 are not bugged
> What do you think about it?

Do you see this `spike' in the DVI output also?  Alternatively, if you
call mf2pt1 as

  FONTFORGE=foo mf2pt1 --rounding=0.0001 <mf-font>   ,

do you see the irregularity if you open the font with fontforge?  This
would indicate a problem with the MF code.  Otherwise (and I believe
this is the cause), it's a bug in fontforge's intersection resolution
algorithm.  You might try the recent CVS version of fontforge which
has a lot of fixed issues.  Don't forget to pass `--enable-double' to
the `configure' script of fontforge.

    Werner