Re: compilation issue with font-name-font-size.ly

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: compilation issue with font-name-font-size.ly
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:58:21 +0000

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 06:43:35AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> During compilation of font-name-font-size.ly I get this message:
> I suggest, for the sake of a `complete' compilation which doesn't
> depend on even more external stuff, that these lines in the regression
> file
>
>   "string"
>   \override #'(font-name . "New Century Schoolbook")
>   "string"
>
> gets changed to a font which is included (or tested for) in LilyPond.
> It would be simplest if the test selects an Emmentaler font:
>
>   "pfsm"
>   \override #'(font-name . "Emmentaler-20")
>   "pfsm"
>
> On my GNU/Linux box, this works fine.  BTW, the scalable font problem
> is issue #711.  Within GUB, this problem doesn't appear because
> fontconfig gets configured to provide only scalable fonts.  However,
> `New Century Schoolbook' is an external font and not part of GUB,
> AFAIK.

With this change, I see a dramatic change in font size -- the
vertical length of the post-font-name "p" is less than half of the
vertical length of the pre-font-name "p".  Admittedly, it's a bit
hard to tell since the post-font-name letters are in italics
rather than non-italics.

I'm using fontconfig 20090923 (the default in ubuntu 9.04), in
case that matters.  We currently issue a warning, but no error,
for this version.  Should it be an error instead?

Cheers,
- Graham