Re: What's the deal with the module system?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: What's the deal with the module system?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:02:46 +0000

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 01:51:44PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:08:28PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> > http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=775
> >
> >> You don't even need to trap this error in high language, but can just do
> >> this as part of bailing out for non-zero exit codes in the Makefile.
> >
> > Patches most definitely accepted.  I don't know how to check exit
> > codes in makefiles.
>
> You don't.  You do it as part of the shell command.  Something
> like
>
> mycommand || { echo "Oops, this failed!"; exit 1 ; }

Hmm.  So would that go in the GNUmakefile, or
stepmake/stepmake/texinfo-rules.make, or
stepmake/stepmake/something-else.make, or
make/doc-i8n-something.make, or...?

I think a better solution would be to add a warning to the
configure script if texi2html is greater than 1.82.  I don't know
if autoconf can check if a version number is too high, though.
For that matter, I don't even know how to write a normal "is it
high enough" autoconf check.

If you're familiar with autoconf, this would be very nice patch to
submit.

> > In general, it might be interesting to look at all
> > "type-maintainability" issues.  Almost all of them hinder lilypond
> > development, but few people want to work on fixing them.
> > Complaining about these issues will not be helpful.
>
> I have a hard time finding out just _what_ will be helpful.

Small patches that work?  Not necessarily things directly related
to your accordion stuff, since that sounds very complicated, but
small patches that fix bugs in the tracker?  As more and more of
these bug-fixing patches get accepted, you'll learn more and more
about lilypond, and can hopefully write some docs to explain what
you've learned.

In the case of the maintainability issues, none of them touch
code, so I can check the patch(es) and commit them.

Cheers,
- Graham