Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Issue 872 in lilypond: Changes split-page has broken images
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:09:51 +0000

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 04:42:14PM +0100, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le lundi 09 novembre 2009 à 20:08 +0000, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > doing:
> >   $filename = lc($filename)
> > works fine in the general lilypond-init.pl file.
>
> In wich line or function exactly?  The changes I proposed in a previous
> email don't work for me, even not for manuals.  In case it matters, I
> use texi2thml 1.82, shoiuld I upgrade to CVS?

Lines 360, 381, 384.  Documentation/lilypond-texi2html.init
Works for contributor; I didn't bother checking the others.  From
a clean source tree.

I only use texi2html 1.82.

> > It probably won't work in the web init file, since
> > &lilypond_element_file_name is commented out due to some bug in
> > Opera.  We also don't need that function since we call it with
> > --split=section and not --split=unnumbered.
>
> > Yes, it would be nice if that file was cleaned up so that
> > developers wouldn't get misled like this... I added it to the
> > tracker; it's somewhere around issue #850.
> >
> > *shrug*   that's the cost of not doing preventative maintenance.
>
> *sigh*
> If I understand correctly, the map file for General is currently

I think you mean "init file"?

> generated for nuts.  Even if I understand you're busy with many other
> tasks, I find this, what you just pointed out and more generally the
> code duplication between the two init files quite a maoing mess, which
> is normal for stuff being developed but difficult to handle for people
> other than the one who did it.

*throws up hands*

ok.  What should I have stopped doing?  Not bothered about the fix
for lilypond on osx 10.6 ?  Ignored the missing lilypad.exe in
windows?  Stop working on the waf build?  Not bother about the
lower-case html names thing that's bugging Jan ?

You're reluctant to do lilypond stuff because of phd issues?  I'm
spending about half my waking hours working on lilypond -- and I'm
already an official phd student.

I'm willing to do all the crap jobs that nobody else wants to
touch -- not without complaining, but I'll *do* them -- but please
understand that I could spend literally 50 hours a week for the
rest of the year trying to catch up.  But even *I'm* not willing
abuse my supervisor's good-will that much.  So I constantly try to
balance the importance and freshness-in-my-mind of all tasks.

As it happens, I wasn't the original person to write the texi2html
file.  I don't understand how it works.  For the new website, I
found that if I did X, Y, and Z, it produced the output I wanted.
In my mind, that moved it from "urgent" to "important"... which
means that I won't touch it for another 4 months or so.

(should we start casting dirty looks at Reinhold and Patrick?
They were the people who wrote the original one, so they're in the
best position to remove the unneeded code from the new one... but
again, I don't believe in blaming / making demands  on people
because they helped out in the past)

> >   And we could try looking into why we get the duplicate
> > anchors which confuse opera)
>
> Isn't it because Texi2HTML generates one anchor from the node, and
> another one from the section?

Great!  You know more than me.  Want to take it over?

I'm sorry, I didn't want to snap at you.  But I think everybody
has seriously underestimated both the amount, and importance, of
these basic "maintenance" tasks.

Cheers,
- Graham