Re: Doc build failure: pngtopnm: Error writing single byte sample to fil

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Doc build failure: pngtopnm: Error writing single byte sample to file
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 22:02:23 +0000

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 10:53:55PM +0100, Harmath Dénes wrote:
> On 2009.11.05., at 18:06, Graham Percival wrote:
>
>> BTW, are you on OSX 10.5 or 10.6?
>
> My software environment:

That all looks typical.  IIRC in gub we use freetype 2.3.11, but
that was to workaround an OSX 10.6 bug, so it shouldn't affect
you.

>>> thSoft-MacBook:Documentation thsoft$ make doc
>>
>> Don't you want EXTERNAL_BINARY in there?
>
> Aha... Yes, reasonable, though then the CG should mention it there too.

Which page in particular?  I thought the page about building the
docs without compiling lilypond was fairly simple, but I confess
that I don't know if anybody else has successfully completed it.

If you could send a patch for this page (later, once it's working
for you), that would be great.

> So I tried this, but LilyPond failed to compile a snippet:
>
> error: failed files: "aa/lily-0a4411fa.ly"

Hmm.  Sometimes the EXTERNAL_BINARY trick will fail because a
snippet requires a newer version of lilypond.

Take a look at TOPDIR/out/lybook-db/aa/lily-0a4411fa.ly.  What's
in the file?  Does the version number say "2.13.7" ?

What happens if you copy the file to a new location, COMMENT OUT
THE STUFF ABOVE "start cut&paste section", and run lilypond on it
normally?  If this step fails, then it's a plain old "lilypond
crashes on this file" bug report.

(you might want to grab the just-released 2.13.7, since this
should be able to compile everything in the git tree at the
moment)

Cheers,
- Graham