Re: Solving segmentation fault problem in gdb

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Solving segmentation fault problem in gdb
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:30:01 -0600

On 6/30/09 12:16 PM, "Patrick McCarty" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:53:34AM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> On 6/30/09 11:02 AM, "Patrick McCarty" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> However, on a hunch I decided to look at the .gdbinit file.  I had been
>> using the .gdbinit file from the CG.  When I eliminated the .gdbinit file,
>> everything ran properly.  So apparently, it's a problem with the .gdbinit
>> file.
>>
>> Could somebody with more knowledge of what's going on than me look at the
>> .gdbinit file and tell me what's wrong?
>
> I'm not sure, but here is the output for me when I use the .gdbinit
> file:
>
>   $ gdb lilypond
>   GNU gdb 6.8
>   Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>   License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>   This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
>   There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
>   and "show warranty" for details.
>   This GDB was configured as "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"...
>   Function "scm_error" not defined.
>   Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) [answered
> N; input not from terminal]
>   Breakpoint 1 at 0x6e447d: file warn.cc, line 68.
>   Breakpoint 2 at 0x4f7e9e: file grob.cc, line 562.
>
> As you can see, gdb does not create a breakpoint for "scm_error",
> which is a part of Guile.
>
> I would try removing the breakpoint for "scm_error" in the init file
> to see if that works, and keep everything else.

Interesting ... I got a breakpoint set when I ran gdb.  So my output was
different from yours.

But I eliminated the scm_error breakpoint from the file, and things ran OK.

Then, I manually added a breakpoint for scm_error, and I got a different
address for the breakpoint, but things seem to work normally.

Thanks for the tip!

Carl