Re: Solving segmentation fault problem in gdb

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Solving segmentation fault problem in gdb
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:53:34 -0600

On 6/30/09 11:02 AM, "Patrick McCarty" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 08:40:05AM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
>> I'm trying to get the CG instructions for using gdb up-to-date.  And I'm
>> trying to debug a problem with the new autobeam stuff I'm working on.
>>
>> So I checked out a fresh master.
>>
>> Then I did
>>
>> ./configure --enable-debugging
>> make
>>
>> gdb lilypond
>>
>> GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-768) (Tue Oct  2 04:07:49 UTC
>> 2007)
>> Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
>> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
>> conditions.
>> Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
>> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
>> This GDB was configured as "i386-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for shared
>> libraries ................... done
>> Breakpoint 1 at 0xf546
>> Breakpoint 2 at 0x2bd32f: file warn.cc, line 68.
>> Breakpoint 3 at 0xd681c: file grob.cc, line 536.
>>

>> inside of gdb, I did
>>
>> (gdb) run testfiles/autobeam-test.ly
>> Starting program: /Users/Carl/lilypond-working/out/bin/lilypond
>> testfiles/autobeam-test.ly
>> Segmentation fault
>
> That's odd.  Normally when I run gdb with LilyPond, it gives me
> information about the location of the segfault.  Then I can do a
> backtrace.

Yes, that's what would happen if LilyPond were causing the segfault.  It
appears to me that gdb is creating the segfault.

> When I compile LilyPond with the intent of debugging it, I use
>
> ./configure --disable-optimising
>
> instead.  Did you try that?

I had not.  I also hadn't realized that --enable-debugging is on by default.

So I disabled optimization, and reran make.

Same result, unfortunately.

However, on a hunch I decided to look at the .gdbinit file.  I had been
using the .gdbinit file from the CG.  When I eliminated the .gdbinit file,
everything ran properly.  So apparently, it's a problem with the .gdbinit
file.

Could somebody with more knowledge of what's going on than me look at the
.gdbinit file and tell me what's wrong?

Thanks,

Carl