Re: New website: Logos

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: New website: Logos
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:27:14 -0700

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 04:54:05PM +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> With regarding to the use of logos in the downolad pages, and
> specifically about the Linux Tux logo, it can be freely used but the
> author Larry Ewing is to be acknowledged.

Thanks for looking into all this.  I must admit that I checked the
info the FreeBSD Security Officer gave me, and he was wrong: using
the official freebsd logo requires that the image links to
freebsd.org.  Which is full of fail, since we want the FreeBSD
logo to link to our download page for FreeBSD!  Users would be
rightly confused by that behavior.
(4th paragraph:
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/documents/Guidelines.shtml
)

IMO, this whole thing is bloody bollocks.  Let's stop wasting our
time and simply remove every graphical logo from the website.
Yes, it's unfortunate; a graphical logo for each operating system
would make the download page easier/quicker to understand.  But I
want a nice clean design, and the legal requirements get in the
way of that.

(... ok, I suppose we *could* have a column-center-bottom area at
the bottom of the Download page, dump all the legalize on there,
and remove the logos from the Download->* pages... but right now
I'm too pissed at all this corporate legalese BS to want to bend
to their will.)

Cheers,
- Graham