Re: proposals for LM B. Scheme tutorial

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: proposals for LM B. Scheme tutorial
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 06:40:59 +0200 (CEST)

>> The formatting is bad.
>>
>> > #(begin
>> >    (define foo 0)
>> >    (define bar 1))
>>
>> Parentheses are never left alone on a line.
>
> I respectfully* disagree: [...]

Well, putting trailing parentheses into separate lines is useful while
writing code -- I do this too, but finally they get condensed into a
single line.  We do this everywhere in the SCM files.

As a rule, we indent Scheme code almost always in the same way as the
Scheme mode of Emacs does.  There, a simple TAB keypress indents
correctly.  Additionally, Emacs provides functions to find the
matching opening parenthesis; another reason to condense parentheses.

    Werner