Re: stable/2.12 and tagging of tarballs

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: stable/2.12 and tagging of tarballs
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 07:16:53 -0600

On 6/9/09 2:12 AM, "Jan Nieuwenhuizen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> ... the stable branch that I now recreated, from master
> at tag release/2.12.2-1, *was* that actually bugfixing,
> cautious development?
> Or does our 2.12.2 release include new, risky development?

As far as I know, 2.12.2 has no new, risky development.

> Also, as nothing had been committed to the stable branch
> for the past half year I wonder: have absolutely no bugs
> been fixed since 2.12.2?  Did some major change prevent
> fixes from being backported?

There was an announced policy of rapid releases that discouraged spending
time on backporting, since we were going to move forward more rapidly on
releasing new stable branches.

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/19122/match=now>

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/19064/match=release>

<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/19130/match=release>

> I suppose some small kind of pond creature should look over
> the master branch since release/2.12.2-1 to see if any commits
> can/should be added to stable/2.12 before we release 2.12.3?

I think that pond creatures probably don't have the experience/wisdom to
know which commits can be backported.

> Or did we have no/little unstable development, and should
> MASTER be renamed to stable/2.12?

According to the policy that was established, we can't call current master
because of syntax changes in the current master.

I'd propose that we release 2.14 very soon, as a good way to get out of the
mess we're currently in.  As far as I know, LilyPond is currently stable
(with the regression tests we have, it's pretty easy to see when it breaks.

Carl