Re: mergin web/ with master/

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: mergin web/ with master/
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:07:30 -0300

Sorry for cutting in so late on this topic.

I am not sure what problem this proposal is trying to solve. I am
against the idea of putting the website in the main code branch, for
the following reason:

The docs are specific to a given lilypond version, and should
therefore always be part of the main branch that contains the code.
The website is a a living 'document' that talks about several lilypond
versions, and that changes independently of the code repository.  For
example, the website may be updated to link to appearing or
disappearing news articles.

You may recall that, in a distant past, the website was really
generated from the source code that we had, and I have no fond
memories of the scheme; see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v1.6/Documentation/out-www/index.html

>From a developer perspective, merging both means adding a lot of noise
commits that hinder both website development and lilypond development.