Re: mergin web/ with master/

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: mergin web/ with master/
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 16:46:15 -0600

On 6/5/09 12:18 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Do we need a separate branch (or even repository) for web/ stuff?
> I propose that we merge this with the main branch.

I thought that the previous discussion was actually to separate the web from
the source, i.e., more, rather than less, separation.

But I'm OK to move in this direction; I'm ambivalent, personally.

> PRO:
> + one less branch/repo to track
> + easier to fix typos in the web pages
> + we can direct everybody to look at the CG (no more README in the
> newweb/ branch)
> + allows better integration with the other docs (this is more a
> post-GOP feature)
>
> CON:
> - adds 30 megs to the main branch (including the .git dir)
> - makes translations harder?  (maybe?  ... I don't know if this is
>   true, but IMO this is the only real reason to avoid doing this)

Another con might be that those who might be willing to work on the web but
who don't have a git repo of the source would need a much bigger git repo
(i.e. all of LilyPond, instead of just the web).

> If we agree with this proposal, then we'll be left with:
> lilypond repo
> . master branch
>    . individual testing branches

Do we need all of the individual testing branches?  I'm fairly certain that
the csorensen branch is useless.  I think the original idea behind the
csorensen branch was that I would make changes and push them to that branch,
then somebody else would cherry-pick the changes.  I think that that model
for fixing things has been replaced.  We now have the git-cl means of having
patches reviewed and then pushed; perhaps we don't need the individual
branches?

Thanks,

Carl