RE: Syntax explanations

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: Syntax explanations
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:18:26 -0600

Nor do I, but my section I wrote about a chord name element got dramatically
shortened, because it was too much "talking through the code" and we replaced
it instead with short introductory statements and examples.

> > > For example, to create a hald-diminished, I found out
> that I could
> > > use 'dim5m7', but that took me some trying.

You can use dim5m7, but that is not the only way to do it.  You can also use
m7.3-.  There is no "right" way to build one of these extended chords.

> I'd say that this should be in Common chords, but don't
> forget that the docs are a matter of the blind leading the
> blind.  That never occurred to me and Carl.

Actually, it did occur to me.  But the decision was made (and my need to be
revised) that the full table of 7th chords, and the higher, less-commonly-used
chords should not be included in Common chords, because it was too much
information.

Because he needed the full set for musicxml2ly, Reinhold figured out ways to
create all of the "named" chords, even the very infrequently-used ones.  I
think it would be better to just include an appendix that lists all of the
examples Reinhold came up with, than to create a table that would still require
people to figure it out.

Thanks,

Carl