Re: Syntax explanations

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Syntax explanations
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:31:33 +0100

Carl D. Sorensen wrote Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:22 PM

<quote>
In the past, there has been a call for a full syntax diagram for LilyPond. Such a diagram should come directly from the parser, IMO. Are there current plans for developing one? At one time, I wrote a Python routine that generated a BNF syntax diagram from the parser. <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/7431/focus=7443>

Do we want to include it (or some better version, rolled by somebody with more development capability than me) in the documentation? It seems to me that such a diagram would be helpful as a place to find out what one could type where.

</quote>

I don't think we'd want to include this in the manuals, but it could be useful to those of us who are familiar with formal descriptions. Are you able to bring this up-to-date as a guide to the parser code?

Carl