Re: compiling

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: compiling
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 06:18:08 -0700

Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
Yeah. For example, Debian _still_ doesn't have guile-1.8.2 or higher. Not even in the unstable branch! I think this was released about a year
ago.  :(

Actually
1.8.2 was released 2007-07-16
I feel appropriately embarrassed -- I noticed a "2006" in the date of a bugreport on guile-1.8, and jumped to conclusions. The actual date was 28 Dec 2006, so that's half a year. (wishlist request for the rational fractions patch)

More importantly, 1.8.2 was packaged on 25 Aug 2007! I think I was looking for guile two weeks ago, so I missed it barely.

With good reason, I think -- once we find a bug in the underlying
libraries, it doesn't make sense to try to work around that bug in our
own code.  But that does mean that we have to wait a year (or more)
before those underlying projects release new versions and get packaged
for major distributions.

Are there really distributions that don't apply patches for bugfixes to their
packages (especially if they are already accepted upstream)? If it takes more
than a year it is probably a sign that certain packages aren't maintained
(much) due to staffing needs going unfulfilled.
Yes, there are distributions with slow bugfix patches; and staffing needs are short everywhere. I really didn't mean to sound ungrateful in my previous email; I'm very aware that most packagers are volunteers, and I'm very appreciative of their work.

Cheers,
- Graham