Re: Lilypond font design

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: Lilypond font design
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 20:15:41 +0200

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I was wondering if I could start some contribution to the medieval
notation support via redesigning the fonts that in my opinion don't
look very good. [...]

I can't give any design recommendation due to lack of knowledge.

Whatever you do, *please* follow the guidelines in mf/README (almost
all ancient glyphs don't do that, unfortunately).  An `exact'
conversion would be really cool!

Well, I don't really know yet anything about font design myself except maybe the point that ttf/otf fonts have a wide variance of substitution rules that are possible to intergrate. But does Lily care about them? Anyways, I will have a closer look at the README. Do you think I should generate mf fonts?

So I would like to hear some opinions on this issue and also some
hints about how Lilypond's fonts work (fontforge doesn't show any
glyphs on the emental [...])

Of course it does!  Just select Encoding->Reencode->Glyph Order (the
last entry is `Original' in older FontForge versions).

I will try this!

Greetings
Till