Re: RMS is back on board

From: Dennis Payne
Subject: Re: RMS is back on board
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 16:39:16 -0400

On Thu, 2021-03-25 at 21:44 +0430, Ali Reza Hayati wrote:
> I wrote this blog post:
> https://alirezahayati.com/2021/03/25/fight-against-idiocy-support-rms/
>
> Please send your support of RMS to info@fsf.org. This would be much
> appreciated.

I don't think RMS should be "cancelled". If FSF want him on the board
that's fine with me. However, you include:

"Some also accuse Stallman of sexual harassment and “assault” which
there’s no proof of and as a person who knows him, I can tell very far
from truth."

There are enough stories that I find it implausible that there haven't
been bad encounters in the past between Stallman and others. Maybe he
didn't realize he treated someone badly. Maybe he has since learned and
treats people better. I don't know. I remember an actor commenting on a
late show that there wouldn't be a "me too" moment highlighting his bad
behavior but acknowledged in the past he might have been dismissive to
a woman in a meeting or something. We are all human and anyone can make
a mistake.

Even without those stories, I find RMS flawed in his treatment of
games. He is accepting of non-free artwork and other content as long as
it is not code. I understand his reasoning that is the artistic vision
of the creator. I just don't agree. If you want to add a new feature to
the game which requires some new sprites, you would be required to redo
all the content or perhaps make the new sprites clash in style so as to
not infringe on the copyright of the original art. Even something as
simple as tweaking a pause screen to add some information may require
altering some graphics. A free game with non-free content effectively
makes it non-free because some changes cannot be reasonably made.

--
Dennis Payne
dulsi@identicalsoftware.com