Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Dual text/plain multipart/alternative content

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Dual text/plain multipart/alternative content
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 13:05:21 -0400

Kevin J. McCarthy <kevin@8t8.us> writes:

> Sorry for the off-topic post.  Starting 9/17 on this list, I'm seeing
> dual text/plain parts for multipart/alternative emails.
>
> I'm guessing the original text/html part is being autoconverted by a
> mailing list filter.  Unfortunately, the output of the filter is not
> pretty and my mail client is choosing to display the autoconverted part.
>
> Would it be possible to revert this change to the mailing list?
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Kevin

Yes, its being converted. We upgraded the mailing list server a few
months ago and accidentally disabled the conversion and re-enabled it
recently about a month ago. I just sent another message to the list
discussing this, where I explained why my feeling is that we should
continue converting html for this list.

The conversion command it uses is /usr/bin/lynx -dump
with version 2.8.9 of lynx.

A quick web search and I found that other people prefer the output of
links or elinks over lynx. If you or anyone would like to do a little
research on this and recommend a different conversion program, I'd be
happy to install and switch to it (note, this will affect hundreds of
other email lists for gnu and nongnu packages).

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF