Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Apologies

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Apologies
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 11:08:25 -0700

Adrienne, that's a valid concern. People shouldn't be walking on
eggshells. However, that's a misreading of the case here. This is more
like 'Smee realizing on self-reflection that they actually *were* making
assumptions and not being as considerate as they wish to be. I don't
think this apology was an insincere fear-based one but one in which it's
a modeling of holding oneself to a high standard.

Again, you're right in that we live in a context where *reasonable*
discourse gets grotesquely misrepresented and then people self-censor
out of fear. That is a totally valid problem, and we should not accept
it as okay.

At the same time, we should work to treat everyone with some
benefit-of-the-doubt and compassion. And there's nothing wrong with
apologizing for not living up to that standard, even if someone's worst
was *still* better than many people's normal.

If I write something from a defensive, reactionary mindset, I would hope
to recognize it and apologize if I failed to check myself before sending
it. That's independent from the fact that my emotional reactionary
writing might still be more respectful than most people's non-emotional
postings.