Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Update on freeyourstuff.cc (content/user liber

From: Thomas Harding
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Update on freeyourstuff.cc (content/user liberation)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 01:40:32 +0200

(unsure who writed) :

>That said, I wholly agree with al3xu5. While I do believe in some
>aspects
>of the free culture movement, specifically that copyright is too
>restrictive in its current form and the viewers should have some
>rights, I
>do not believe that viewers should be able to commercially derive and
>re-use any non-software copyrighted work they receive a copy of.

I mostly agree, but some  points...

Public Domain  release is peculiar to some  states, as USA.

In France some  CC flavors are legal  regarding intellectual  property rights,
but IMHO not CC0.

Situation is worse with human being  models, because contracts  cannot  be
perpetual (~slaving).

Even taking a picture in  a town turns now to a real  problem, as "land" is
polluted by copyrighted material (from buildings to installations, bridges,
even Eiffel tower lightnings). There is no more public spaces, they are just
*stolen*.

It seems > 170 yo artifacts in  museums begins to be  unclear too, and  there
were problems  in  the  last ten  years with ancient  books numerisation
(contracts  with distribution exclusivity), while I missed how all that ended
(suited  time to time...).

>The
>original purpose of copyright was to protect the commercial interests
>of
>artists, and I believe *some* form of that protection is still
>appropriate.

Historically, copyright has protect publishers first, not authors.