Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Update on freeyourstuff.cc (content/user liber

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Update on freeyourstuff.cc (content/user liberation)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 13:10:51 -0700

On 05/11/2016 12:33 PM, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
> Il giorno mercoledì 11/05/2016 09:43:50 CEST
> Alexander Berntsen <alexander@plaimi.net> ha scritto:

>> On 10/05/16 20:08, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
>>> Please note that (if I have well understood) in some countries
>>> (i.e. Italy) copyright laws do not admit releasing a work as
>>> public domain unless after many years since their creation: so CC0
>>> might produce the same effect that "all rights reserved"...
>> Is this not the very problem that CC0 was made to solve?
>
> But this does not imply it was solved in every circumstance. Following the
> example, as far as I know, the Italian copyright laws states that the moral
> rights are eternal and not transferable, and that necessarily there must be
> someone who possesses the economic rights up to the expiration of the
> "protection". So using CC0 might be problematic for an Italian author.
> Better having a wider range of licenses to choose.

Al3xu5 is right, CC0 is specifically designed to address this sort of
thing. CC0 ≠ public-domain legally, it is a legal tool to achieve effect
public-domain even when the laws don't recognize public domain well. I
mentioned this in another article.

We aren't just implying, we are *asserting* that CC0 solves this in
every circumstance **to the extent that we are aware of a legal way to
solve it**. In other words, CC0 is the best solution to this situation
that we have. The problems with public domain in Italy are precisely the
problems that CC0 *does* address.