Re: [libreplanet-discuss] appreciation payment protocol

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] appreciation payment protocol
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 14:27:27 -0400

John Sullivan wrote:
andrew@lewman.com writes:

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:19:39 +0100
Ramana Kumar <ramana.kumar@gmail.com> wrote:

TipTheWeb (http://tiptheweb.org/) looks like a promising Flattr
And their terms of service are better than the crazy anti-customer
flattr terms.
We've discussed providing this service at the FSF for free software
developers, but so far haven't been able to solve the problem of credit
card transaction fees, which are prohibitive on small transactions.

The model that Ramana posited - one monthly donation, check of multiple projects, divide the money at the end of the month - would avoid that problem. Sort of the way that electronic tolls work - one monthly deduction from one's bank account, applied as one drives through toll booths.

And, the fees on one monthly transaction could be reduced further by going through the ACH (automated clearing house) for bank account deductions, instead of using credit cards.

I expect a lot of us would sign up to have say $20/month auto-deducted from our bank accounts, for later application to projects.

Miles Fidelman