Re: [libreplanet-discuss] appreciation payment protocol

From: Mark Holmquist
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] appreciation payment protocol
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:11:33 -0700

Any thoughts on how to make it work would be welcome.

I like the bitcoin idea, but I think we can solve it much more simply:

1. User wants to give money to a project

2. If that user wants to give a tiny amount, they can opt to pay the transaction fee themselves, or....

3. A better way might be to offer packages, where the FSF or whoever else will pay the fees (or the fees are waived somehow, I am not a banker), but a minimum buy-in is required. Once the money is in the FSF's custody, however, the user can give tiny amounts if they prefer. Transferring money around internally (i.e., this money goes from one bucket to another bucket) is much easier than acting as merely a momentary transfer point.

Again, not a banker, so I'm not sure how viable this is. But it could work.

--
Mark Holmquist
Contractor, Wikimedia Foundation