Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail servi

From: Fabian Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail services?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:32:09 -0400

On 07/23/2012 09:10 AM, Dave Crossland wrote:
> Hi
>
> There are 2 separate issues here. One is running an email service
> (SMTP outbound and IMAP inbound) and the other is providing a
> proprietary email application as 'Software as a Service.' Using GMail
> or YahooMail for SMTP+IMAP seems to me no different to using Dreamhost
> or the FSF's SMTP+IMAP service; but using Thunderbird or GMail's Web
> App seems different.
Thanks for that comment, hadn't thought of that. One key difference to
me is also the fact that having your return address as being @gmail.com
etc. also encourages using those services. In that regard it doesn't
matter if I don't use their front-end.

I'll do the exercise with my current provider for this email (my
@member.fsf.org account, which forward to my own domain on DH).

Dreamhost lets me choose among SquirrelMail or RoundCube for the "SaaS"
of their offering, and they explain how to install my own instance too.
That meets that part of my freedom requirement. I can use their own
managed service, roll my own on their infrastructure, then even copy
that setup as-is (or mostly) to my own. I bet I can even pay them to do
that. In that sense it's quite different than Gmail/Yahoo. I trust if
they have a bug they will also file proper bug reports/follow up
upstream, etc.

Regarding SMTP/IMAP, I hadn't checked until you mentioned it, I found
the information quickly for DH[1]:
"Dreamhost uses the Courier IMAP server on older email servers. It seems
to push out updates within 1-5 minutes. Newer DreamHost email servers
(homiemail) use Dovecot." I've asked DH about SMTP. Same as above, I
trust if they have a bug in Dovecot they will file bug reports, etc.

I am also keen on using a provider that "isn't there yet" if I can
influence them, in fact that may be more desirable for some accounts.

Perhaps even the FSF could provide full IMAP/SMTP service for some
membership categories?

[1] http://wiki.dreamhost.com/IMAP

Cheers,

Fabian Rodriguez