Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail servi

From: Fabian Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail services?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:47:21 -0400

On 07/23/2012 09:36 AM, Dave Crossland wrote:
> On 23 July 2012 13:32, Fabian Rodriguez <MagicFab@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> One key difference to
>> me is also the fact that having your return address as being @gmail.com
>> etc. also encourages using those services
> I send this via GMail servers, but my gmail address isn't made visible
> to you unless you check the headers :)

I trust you read my sentence carefully: your return address is not
@gmail, so you're not advertising that to all, at least not for those
without the "full headers" shown at all times in their email client. You
also can actually decide if you won't use their SMTP anymore if their
conditions change - which is not as easy for IMAP when all your emails
are stuck there. Migration is not my concern either here, although it
will come up in some case. I recently migrated someone from Hotmail.com
to DH and that was not as easy as I thought - although they even have
forwarding so the transition can be made more progressively.

It's up to you to decide if/why you continue to depend on their SMTP (a
rather small dependency IMO) or research/reach further freedom. That's
not my main question, my question is if such alternative exists (other
than setting up my own).

Thanks for going into such detail, it helps my own questioning about this.

Fabian Rodriguez
http://fsf.magicfab.ca