Re: [Libcdio-devel] RFC: Two releases or one?

From: Leon Merten Lohse
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] RFC: Two releases or one?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:21:33 +0100

Hi,

actually there are a few more changes I did not commit yet including
support for all 8 blocks and a rewritten parser routine that does not
rely on shady gcc features (packed pragma, bitfields).
I implemented some new aspects of CD-TEXT that required new functions.
In order to keep the code as clean as possible I changed the internal
data structure so that there is just one CD-TEXT struct and not one for
every track, because the latter does not make any sense. Either there is
CD-TEXT on the disc or there is not. There cannot be CD-TEXT for just a
few tracks.
All the libcdio CD-TEXT functions work on a CD-TEXT object. It would
have been a pain to rewrite the existing functions to work with the new
data structure and again imho it did not make any sense the way it was.

So since I did not know of any program really using libcdio's CD-TEXT I
think the loss was not too big.

I plan to commit the last api changes (language selection) this weekend.
This way it is going to be a single rather big incompatible change.

If you have objections, I can try to write a workaround but it is not
going to be pretty and will not help making the api easier.

Regards
Leon