Re: [Libcdio-devel] RFC: Two releases or one?

From: Nicolas Boullis
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] RFC: Two releases or one?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:08:15 +0100

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 05:56:32PM -0500, Rocky Bernstein wrote:

> The new cdtext_get() adds a parameter for the track. I suppose we could
> have and added a new routine rather than modify the old one in an
> incompatible way.
>
> I don't have strong feelings on this. Perhaps Leon could comment.

With my Debian hat on, I prefer when there is no incompatible change, at
least for the binary interface.
Each time the binary interface of a lirary changes incompatibly, the
SONAME has to change, and all programs that use this library must be
rebuilt.
Currently, the number of programs that use libcdio is not too huge (at
least within the programs provided by Debian). But the more libcdio will
be adopted the more complex those transitions will be...

> I had considered one branch having
>   * paranoia removed
>   * cd-text changes
>   * whatever compatible UDF/Joliet/Rock Ridge fixes
>
> And in another the incompatible header changes plus whatever the
> UDF/Joliet/Rock Ridge changes aren't
> in the first release.

As far as I understand it, I see no reason to want 2 releases.

--
Nicolas