Re: [Libcdio-devel] Spurious corrections from cdparanoia?

From: Robert William Fuller
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Spurious corrections from cdparanoia?
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 08:16:06 -0400

On 11/01/2011 11:00 PM, Rocky Bernstein wrote:
> I had a vague and second-hand understanding that cdparanoia had a way to
> figure out from the drive when it is better and totally burning of
> paranoia. It is possible that cued or EAC compares rips with and without
> paranoia.

Modern drives don't jitter.  So it is reasonable to turn off jitter
correction.  I do not recall if you can turn off jitter correction with
the paranoia library (of course you can do anything with programmatic
changes.)  I have an uneasy recollection that paranoia sometimes makes
other types of corrections that are unnecessary, although jitter is the
most common.

> Do I have it correct that things that are uniformly close to 0000 or ffff
> are both silence because it what is looked for is lots of  *changes* in
> amplitude. (If this is correct, would any repeated 16-bit value also be
> silence? For example 5555, 5555, or even 1234 1234?)

Yes.  I like to think of PCM data with a physical model.  Think of the
PCM data as air pressure measurements, since what we hear is variations
in this.  I recall seeing a good example of this.  I think it was in
libsndfile.  It has a sample program that makes a musical note by using
the sine or cosine function.

Rob