Re: IDL issue

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: IDL issue
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:49:14 -0400

On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 14:28 +0200, Espen Skoglund wrote:
> I agree with you.  Returning the error code is more consistent...

I think that this outcome is interesting. So far, we have Shapiro
(Coyotos), Skoglund (L4), Landau (CapROS), Adams (Coyotos), Walfield
(Hurd, L4), and everybody else I have talked to about this agreeing that
returning the error code is the preferred outcome.

Given this, it is interesting (and perhaps unfortunate) that the various
L4 IDL compilers do not agree with us. :-)

> This might eliminate some problems due to sloppy programming.  The one
> argument I can think of in favour of returning the result value is a
> performance related one.  The architecture calling conventions...

Yes, but as Tom Bachmann pointed out, this is not an issue when stubs
are inlined. Inlining stubs seems to be a universal assumption, though
it is probably not an optimization to do this on most architectures.
--
Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph.D.
Managing Director